Thursday, January 31, 2008

Resolutions - Jan 08

I figured the end of the month seemed a reasonable time to give a public progress report on where I stand with my resolutions. Want to see the big long original post? You can check it out here.

Now, as for my progress:

  • Get healthier: This one isn't going so hot. I have gotten MUCH better about cooking dinner at home (probably averaging 4 or 5 nights a week). Haven't started any exercise yet, can't shop at the Farmer's Market yet, and I'm still a smoker.
  • Be more financially responsible: Again, got the cooking at home thing down and going well. I'm looking at the bills more regularly, and we have some vague idea of a debt payoff plan (or at least which creditors are getting our tax refund). I didn't get anything up on eBay or Craigslist this month, but I have sorted out some things I want to get there.
  • Be more organized: Yeah, well... um - it's getting there. I do have the bills in a much more organized system. I have found the dining room table, and we're even Using It.... TO EAT ON most nights when we're home. Oh, and I do always have an open donation bag. I cleaned out a drawer or 2 a couple of weeks ago, and went thru some shoes. I also have a pile of stuff in the basement (clean laundry) that can be donated. A phone call is all it will take to get that stuff out of our house.
  • Live a little more green: Not doing so good here. I found the recycling tub, but it's in the garage loft, and full of firewood. We do eat at the table with the TV turned off. I have lessened the time I use the TV as background noise, and am trying to get better at unplugging things when they aren't in use (like my laptop and cell phone charger). None of it is "habit" yet, but it is happening more frequently. Oh, and as light bulbs burn out, we're replacing them with the fancy-schmancy spiral more energy efficient ones.
  • Be more adventurous: Not doing so great with the "try new groceries" thing, as I'm trying to reduce our food spending. I've probably picked up some new stuff outside of our usual favorites, but more in the spirit of trying a generic brand or frugal alternative, rather than being adventurous. I have tried 2 new recipes this month... 1 was a meatloaf recipe that neither of us cared for, and the other resulted in this blog post. Grumpy & I both really liked the sound of that recipe, so I'll be giving it another shot, probably in Feb.
  • Be more kind to myself: I think I'm doing ok here. I am following some of the specific guidelines I outlined, and because of it, I think many of my personal relationships have gotten stronger. I think I had 1 library book this month, but haven't yet gotten back to get another one. Soon, I hope.

And that's where I stand. As I've said before (here and here), things are a little crazy for us right now, with no real sign of letting up in the near future. I'm trying to base my decisions around my resolutions when I can, but sometimes it's simply not an option. And that is where those last 2 resolutions become so important. My role right now - my priority - is to support Grumpy through this time. Everything else on my agenda - both in the day to day and the somewhat long term - has to come secondary to that. And as long as I maintain that thought in the forefront of my mind, I think I will be able to make the right decisions for my family. And really, what more can I hope for right now?

0 Comments: