I found this recipe on Frugal Upstate, and since I've been looking for an easy Crock Pot Mac & Cheese recipe, I thought I'd give this one a whirl. I'm glad I did!
- 16 oz pasta, cooked and drained (I used penne rigate, but anything would be good. next time, shells! or rotini!)
- 4 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Can (12 oz) Evaporated Milk
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 TBS Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- I used a 2.5 quart crock pot, and it fit perfectly. I would NOT go any smaller than that.
- Spray Crockpot with nonstick spray (or grease down, your choice).
- Mix everything together and pour into Crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours**
- Do not stir, it will cook and firm up.
**Note: 5-6 hours means it is done. I don't think anything at all would happen to this recipe if it had to cook a few more hours. So if you work an 8 hour day go ahead and throw it together and start the crockpot in the morning-it should still be fine when you get home. That's the beauty of crockpots-very few things HAVE to be taken out when done.
******Beth's Note: This recipe is a great base to be jazzed up. On it's own, it seemed a little blah. Grumps added more salt & pepper to his, I added some grated parmesan (out of the good ol' green can). Next time I make it, I will absolutely play around with the cheese mixture, as well as tossing in some veggies and/or meat. I'm calling it one of my favorites because it gives a great "fix & forget" start to a meal that would only need a couple extra ingredients to be a star. And, if your lazy (like me!), it does ok on it's own, too.