Wednesday, January 16, 2008

What happened to IUI?

I've been doing some research on ART, prepping for the inevitable trip to the RE, and everything I'm finding is talking about IVF. Don't REs do IUIs anymore? I understand that they aren't as technologically advanced, and for some patients are truly a waste of time, but..... but... well..... IVF scares the bejeezus out of me. If that's what we have to do, well then - I think we will. But... the financial cost? And the emotional craziness? And the needles? And..... and.... and.....

Shit, I'm freakin scared already, and it's 3 months from today before I'll even have an intake appointment. SHIT.

3 Comments:

nancy said...

My RE does IUI's first. He suggested IVF due to it's higher success rates, but said he'll be more than happy to do as many of IUIs as I want. (well, i think he won't go over 6)

Natalie said...

They do, you just have to look around. Mine didn't want to do IVF without trying IUI first.

re the needles, we'll get you through them. I thought they'd be bad too, but on the scale of what IVF entails, the needles are nothing. The rollercoaster is much worse:-(

Familyofthree said...

Yup IUI's are still done. Its just that they don't have the success rate of IVF, so that is why you see so much more info on them. Try looking under ovulation induction as a google term. That should bring up a lot of info on IUI's