Saturday, February 2, 2008

New Doc, and an *almost* diagnosis

Had my first appointment with Dr N on Friday, and I'm VERY VERY happy that I chose to go see him. I was there for almost 2 hours, most of which I was being seen by someone. Very thorough initial intake with a nurse, another 15 minutes of conversation with the doc, a quick pelvic exam (of so fun on cd4), and then ANOTHER 10 minute conversation with the doc.

He's entirely confident that I have PCOS. Although I don't have all of the symptoms (who really ever has ALL of the PCOS symptoms?) I have enough that he's confident with the diagnosis. He wants me to come by 1 morning next week for bloodwork, including a fasting insulin. I have an ultrasound and follow-up appointment scheduled for Feb 11. AND, he wants Grumpy to get an SA done between now and then.

He did say that there seems to be "something going on" with my right ovary. During the exam, he noticed that it seemed enlarged, and was definitely tender. So, the u/s will tell us what that is. Possibilities that he mentioned include cysts, or "something more serious". No point in worrying about it now, so I'm trying not to.

As far as the TTC plan, he says that based on my history, I'm an ideal candidate for Clomid. Although I've already done 6 cycles of clomid (3 with the old ob/gyn, 3 with the RE that included 2 IUIs), I think I might be willing to give it a shot for another few rounds, under his watchful eye.

It's very strange for me. I'm relieved to finally *almost* have an honest-to-goodness diagnosis. Someone is genuinely concerned that there is something wrong, and is willing to do the work to figure out what it is, and that - after 4 years of running circles with this "maybe" drug, and that "let's give it a shot" treatment - is very exciting. And yet, the truth that there really IS something wrong with me is a bit of a slap in the face. I've always suspected... hell, I've always KNOWN. But to have it confirmed knocked the wind out of me more than I thought it would.

8 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are happy with your new Dr. He seem much more hands on then he ones in the past. I am glad are you finally getting some answers and moving forward with a Dr. that is going to work with you.

D

Kaci said...

I'm so glad the appt went well, I kept checking yesterday to see if you updated! It sucks that you have PCOS, but at least he is figuring things out and has a plan for you.

Natalie said...

As someone else who's "unexplained" I get that any kind of diagnosis can be a relief - it's at least a REASON for all this crap!

Meredith said...

I am so glad you had a great appt and have some sort of plan! Here is to your bfp realy soon!

andrea_jennine said...

Glad you like the new doc; makes such a difference, doesn't it? I can relate to so much that you wrote here, after our new doc found my blocked tube - such a hard thing to find out, but such a relief to think there might actually be a productive way forward...

Christy_jebsgirl said...

Can I ask...was the pelvic ultrasound painful? I am having one on Wednesday and I don't knwo what to expect.

IdleMindOfBeth said...

Milestone Memories,

Vaginal u/s aren't any big deal. It's never fun to have a relative stranger doing anything up in my bidness, but in the grand scheme, a date with the wand monkey is pretty low on the intolerance scale. For me, they're even less bothersome than a Pap. Unless AF is around, which makes it slightly less tolerable. But still, for me anyway, no worse than a Pap.

Hope that helps, and good luck to ya!

Wordgirl said...

Hooray!

I'm so glad to hear the doctor's an improvement!

Wordgirl