In honor of the deer that Grumpy got over the weekend, and thus the batch of chili I will be making the weekend after Thanksgiving, I thought I'd share the chili recipe with you. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
This recipe started out in a Weight Watchers cookbook (and therefore would've been pretty healthy). I've doctored it a bit to make it my own, and therefore won't make any claims as to how healthy it is or isn't. I will tell you that it's awfully darn good, especially on a cold night.
- 2lbs ground beef, or 1lb each ground beef & ground venison
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped or pressed
- 4 tbls chili powder
- 2-3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 28oz cans crushed tomatoes (unseasoned)
- 2 16oz can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 2 4oz cans diced green chiles
- 4 tbls tomato paste
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- cheddar gold fish crackers (optional)
- Brown ground meat and garlic together. Drain. Add chili powder & cumin, stirring to coat the meat.
- Mix all ingredients in 6 qt crock pot, stirring until mixed thoroughly. Cover & cook on high 4-5 hours.
Makes a LOT. We usually have it for dinner 2 nights, and then I freeze the rest. 1 batch gives the 2 of us enough food for about 6 dinners.