Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Updates

Dad is still in the hospital. They've decided the abdominal pain was caused by severe dehydration. He's got some kind of infection going on, possibly in his urinary tract, and they found some spots on his liver. He's been in the Critical Care Unit since Monday night, but are hoping to move him to the step-down unit today.

After being incredibly low (60s/40s), they've gotten his blood pressure to a place they are more happy with. The docs are confident that the low pressure was also because of the dehydration, as it's normalized after about 24 hours on IV fluids.

His heart rate is still giving them the most trouble. He says he's always had an "irregular heartbeat", but Dad's never been a fan of doctors, so we don't have a real history on said irregularity. Those fancy hospital monitors REALLY don't like it tho (about every 5-10 minutes it will start beeping and flashing a red "VTACH" warning), and the cardiologists don't like it either. They seem to be close to deciding that it's just the way his heart works. Once that is decided (with a round of bloodwork they drew this morning), they'll release him to the new unit.

His spirits are good, but he's antsy as hell to go home. He wants a cup of coffee, and a cigarette, and a glass of cool water - in the WORST way. Because of the abdominal pain they've not let him have anything to eat or drink since he's been there, but have started him on ice chips this morning. Convincing him that ice chips will lead to water which will eventually lead to food hasn't been easy. Nor has reminding him that he's going to be in the hospital for a few days (he wants to go home NOW, so that he can "get better").

Once they have him more stabilized, they're going to take a closer look at the liver. They're not sure if the spots are simple the kind of thing you'd see on an almost 80 year old liver, or if they could be cancer. For now tho, getting his strength up is the priority. We'll deal with what comes next - well.... next.



In other news: My follow up with Dr. N went well, and pretty much as expected. Lupron & estrogen are doing their thing, so I'll be on them for the full 6 shot regimen. After that, we'll be released to TTC "naturally" for a few months. If I'm not pregnant by "Jan - Mar timeframe", he's willing to give Clomid a try for 4-6 months, and then it'll be off to the RE. My next appt with him is on Sept 8.


Sorry for the factual approach to the update. I have some things I actually need to get done at the office, and then I have some running to take care of for Dad. I'll likely be spotty over the next few days, but will update the blog when I have news to share. Thanks all for the prayer support. It means the world to me!

2 Comments:

Kim said...

Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he continues to improve and he can get that glass of water soon!

Hope you are doing ok, too. It's hard seeing your dad that way.

Life. Complicated. said...

I hope your Dad continues to improve. As far as moving on to the RE, my Ob recommended trying with Clomid for 4-5 months and then on to IUI if supported with good sperm counts. Your about a month ahead of me in this journey.