Monday, May 19, 2008

And the first shot...

was no big deal. Nurse was great, barely felt the needle, and - to borrow Nancy's terminology, my hips/ass must be "like butter", because it went in really smoothly. I'm a little sore now, and the hot flashes have already begun. The only other noticeable s/e is that I feel like I have medicine head... general fogginess. Not sure if that effect is intensified because I am so close to surgery or not (and let's face it, it's a possibility - I was under for 3.5 hours... I'm sure it takes a bit longer than 31 days to get all of that anesthesia out of my system!).

I go back in for shot #2 (which will be in my left hip, since this one went into the right hip) on June 16 (and every 4 weeks thereafter, for either 4 or 6 shots, total), and I should get the Rx for the estrogen add back therapy. Next appointment with the doc is on July 8. I need to remember to talk to him about how to determine whether it's 4 or 6 months of Lupron treatment, how long once I'm off the med before we can start ttc again, and whether we're going to go "au naturale" for a while, or if we can jump right into Clomid (I think I might prefer that, just to be safe).


And to answer Nancy's question from my last post, I'm on a full birth control strength of Lupron (I think it's 3.75 mg every 4 weeks). I know that's a larger dose then given for IVF protocol, so I'm guessing that's why it's given IM vs SQ.


Holy crap, look at all that med talk, and abbreviation crap! I'm starting to feel like a real IFer now, instead of some groupie just tagging along for the ride. That really shouldn't excite me as much as it does...

2 Comments:

chicklet said...

Lol, I did the same when I started knowing the meds better - it was like, wha? I know this stuff? WHo am I!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your first shot went ok. A good friend of mine has endo & did the lap/lupron for 4 months protocol. They ttc naturally for a while afterwards and are now in tx, although I don't know how things are right now (I don't ask, but just make sure she knows I'm always here to talk about IF stuff if she wants to).

FWIW, I think in retrospect they might have chosen to do a medicated cycle right after the lupron as things are known to be favourable then. That's what I recall from a conversation somewhere along the way.

My friend also found that a gluten free (GF) diet has worked wonders for her quality of life. (I'm jsut dropping in for NaComLeavMo so I'm not sure if you have endo or suffer alot of the nasty symptoms). You may want to check out her post about it, as it recommends a book:
http://barrenwheatfield.wordpress.com/end-no/

I am wishing you the best and hope to drop in again and check up on you!