Saturday, August 30, 2008

Recipes Worth Sharing - All Day Mac & Cheese

I found this recipe on Frugal Upstate, and since I've been looking for an easy Crock Pot Mac & Cheese recipe, I thought I'd give this one a whirl. I'm glad I did!

  • 16 oz pasta, cooked and drained (I used penne rigate, but anything would be good. next time, shells! or rotini!)
  • 4 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 Can (12 oz) Evaporated Milk
  • 1 1/2 C milk
  • 2 Eggs
  • 2 TBS Flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
  1. I used a 2.5 quart crock pot, and it fit perfectly. I would NOT go any smaller than that.
  2. Spray Crockpot with nonstick spray (or grease down, your choice).
  3. Mix everything together and pour into Crockpot.
  4. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours**
  5. Do not stir, it will cook and firm up.

**Note: 5-6 hours means it is done. I don't think anything at all would happen to this recipe if it had to cook a few more hours. So if you work an 8 hour day go ahead and throw it together and start the crockpot in the morning-it should still be fine when you get home. That's the beauty of crockpots-very few things HAVE to be taken out when done.

******Beth's Note: This recipe is a great base to be jazzed up. On it's own, it seemed a little blah. Grumps added more salt & pepper to his, I added some grated parmesan (out of the good ol' green can). Next time I make it, I will absolutely play around with the cheese mixture, as well as tossing in some veggies and/or meat. I'm calling it one of my favorites because it gives a great "fix & forget" start to a meal that would only need a couple extra ingredients to be a star. And, if your lazy (like me!), it does ok on it's own, too.

3 Comments:

Geohde said...

Oh yummo. Any recipie involving the words- mix together and neglect in crockpot while it hopefully coks itself(my version!) is a favourite with me :)

J

Geohde said...

cooks....

not, um, what sounds rude. Extra vowel please!

I Believe in Miracles said...

Thanks for the recipe. Looks tasty! I love crock pots.