It looks like Dad should be moving to a "rehab facility" (code for nursing home) sometime this week. I expect the move to go well, since he's awfully darn excited about it. Since he got the news that he'd be getting out of the hospital, he's been out of bed more, eating more, and generally more talkative and cooperative.
The downside to the move is that either
- He goes to a facility that is ridiculously inconvenient for sis & I (have to find one that will take his insurance AND his IV nutrition), or
- He gets a feeding tube.
We're encouraging the feeding tube, as it's a lower level of skilled care, and means that we can likely get him in to a facility that is about 5 minutes from each of our homes, and my work. He's not thrilled about the idea, but he doesn't want to be on the other side of town, either.
I haven't seen him since Friday (had the weekend off, since sis is leaving for out-of-town on Tue, and won't be back to see Dad until next Mon), so I'm hoping that the decision has been made, and acted upon, and we're just waiting for moving day.
Four freakin' weeks of this, as of today, with no end in sight. The GOOD side of that is how far he's come, medically. There was a very real chance of losing him for the first 2 weeks of this saga. But, it seems as though we've gotten through that, and on to the "getting him ready to go home" part of the program....