Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Pox on My House

The Grumps is sick - has been for several weeks now. What started off as seasonal allergies turned into an upper respiratory thing. Fortunately, he's on the upswing, and I figure he'll be back to 100% by the end of the week.

I'm sick. And I do mean sick. Sore throat (complete with lovely looking white bumps on my tonsils), stuffy head, slight cough, chest congestion, generally icky. Home from work today, doctor appointment this afternoon, throat culture (I'm sure), 2 week course of antibiotics, and I should be well on my way to dandy.

********************

Dad is back in the hospital. Went in Friday to do some more tests, and hopefully drain off some of the fluid in his lungs. I haven't been able to get a hold of him by phone - and clearly can't go see him - so I'm not sure how he's feeling over the last couple of days. Words like "bi-lateral plural effusion" and "congestive heart failure" have entered the discussions. Still very much one day at a time right now.

********************

On another note, I must publicly apologize to HAP. Although their rules are more stringent than Medicare, and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone opting for their coverage over Medicare, they do have some saving grace... We got Dad's hospital bill for his 5.5 week stay. $158,000 total. His balance? $250.

Thank the Lord for health insurance!



And just a bit of housekeeping - Mel was right when she directed you all here for birthday wishes last week. My birthday is Sept 9. The Perfect Moment Mondays post was just referring back to that day.

5 Comments:

Lori Lavender Luz said...

And thank g*d for antibiotics.

Take care of yourself, Beth.

nancy said...

Ugh. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Kaci said...

Ick - I hope you feel better soon. (((hugs)))

Bea said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like a great moment.

As for the rest - hope everyone feels better soon.

Bea

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

Ugh. Hope you and Grumps feel better soon.

And hope Dad is doing okay. Give me a holler if you need to a translator for "medical-ese" ... :-)

And I truly hope you've been able to find an RN Case Manager at HAP.

HUGS!