Got a call yesterday from the social worker at Dad's rehab. There is a chance that his insurance (note to readers: avoid HAP Senior Plus LIKE THE PLAGUE!!! IT IS EVIL!!!!) will cut him off on Friday.
Apparently, Dad has "plateaued" in therapy, and they don't like that. Let's ignore the fact that he's still fighting a liver infection (or possibly a new infection... his fever is back), he still isn't capable of being on his own, still on IV antibiotics and a feeding tube and a catheter and oxygen, and NOBODY has tried to teach him how to manage those things for himself. Oh, and let's not forget that he's only eating about 200 - 250 calories a day, because EVERYTHING seems to upset his stomach. Nope, we'll ignore those things COMPLETELY! Because he's been walking 100 feet at a stretch for a week now, and he should be at 125!
So, I called the business office this morning, to see what private pay would cost him. As of 2 weeks ago, Dad's doctors and therapists thought he's need another 3-4 weeks at rehab (but, you know, HAP knows better?), so I wanted to have an idea what it would cost him to stay there for the time all the professionals thought was appropriate.
Here's the rundown:
- Semi-private room: $6,758 per month
- Private room (which is what he's in now): $8,680 per month.
Both of those fees include nursing care, food, and the room.
EVERYTHING ELSE IS EXTRA!
- Therapy (physical, occupational, speech): $30 per 15 minutes
- Incontinence supplies: $6.61 per day
- Feeding tube care & supplies: $7 per day
- Medications: no idea (but, undoubtedly, a WHOLE FUCKING LOT)
- Doctors care: no idea (see above note)
- Catheter care & supplies: no idea
I have NO IDEA what we'll do now. I honestly don't think he can afford to stay there. But I KNOW that he can't be on his own yet. Another facility? Home with private nursing care? My house (gasp)?