Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Good News and........

First off, thanks so much for the continued prayer support for Grumpy's Mom. She's still doing ok, and has one more chemo treatment to get thru (this Thursday). After that, we assume there will be another bone marrow biopsy to see if the chemo did what they wanted it to, and then some kind of planning session regarding either further treatment, or surgery for her spleen. If you can, please keep up the prayers, as we still have a L-O-N-G road ahead.

Had my follow-up appointment with Dr. N yesterday. The good news is that my bloodwork (thyroid & fasting insulin) came back ok, so the odds of it being PCOS are further reduced (altho, not gone entirely, I don't think).

The not-so-good news.... I need surgery. I have a 9cm endometrioma on, around, or near my right ovary. Doc says there is a 50/50 chance that he'll be able to remove it robotically, or laprascopically. Otherwise, full on laparotomy (again) with 6 weeks of recovery (again). He's hopeful that he'll be able to get in there & clean things up, and that I'll be able to keep all of my parts. But, he won't know that until he's in.

Fortunately, he said there's no reason the surgery can't wait until after the end of tax season, barring me becoming uncomfortable or symptomatic, so at least I don't have to mess things up at the office any more than they already are.

I have a follow-up appointment on March 10, just to see how I'm doing, and make sure the surgery can still wait until April. Of course, should I experience any pain or other symptoms before then, I'm to get in to see him asap.

Any advice on things I need to ask at the next appointment? Grumpy & I are putting a list of questions together, so we get everything covered. Sadly, upon the dropping of the surgery bomb, my brain promptly went to mush (including the oh so lovely welling of the eyes), so there was no Q&A yesterday.

Here we go again....

4 Comments:

Kaci said...

(((hugs))) I'm sorry. I will continue to pray for your MIL & I'll add prayers that your doc is able to remove the cyst without the major surgery.

Katarina Jelly Beana said...

Continued prayers for your mom...and for you.

RBandRC said...

No advice, but wishing you the best of luck with the surgery. I'll be praying for you! :)

Lori Lavender Luz said...

What a lot on your plate!

Holding you, Grumpy and your MIL in my thoughts.