Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Recipes Worth Sharing: Healthy(er) Spinach & Artichoke Dip

Don't get me wrong, this dip doesn't NOT qualify as healthy. BUT, it is CERTAINLY a whole lot healthier than its baked, cheese and fat laden (but oh so freaking tasty) counterpart.

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb of hummus, flavored or plain... whatever makes ya happy (I like the garlic flavor myself)
  • 1 10oz box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
  • 1 can artichoke hearts, diced
  • 4-8oz grated/shredded parmesan or asiago cheese (I'm a big fan of the Sargento Artisan blends that you can get in the deli section, but thats just me)

To do:

  1. dump everything in a bowl
  2. mix well
  3. eat it on anything you want to dip in it. I've had (and liked) it on veggies, pita chips, pita bread, pumpernickel, french bread, my fingers... it's pretty easy, and forgiving

I think this would store well in an airtight container in the fridge for at least a couple of days, but I can't say that I've ever tried. I tend to ONLY make this if we're having people over, because I'm afraid I'd inhale the entire batch in one sitting, all by myself!

3 Comments:

Beautiful Mess said...

Mmmmm that sounds yummy. Have you tried heating it up? I get the store bought stuff and put some cheese on it and put it in the oven for awhile and it's SO good! If you try it, let me know. Or if I do, I'll let ya know.
*HUGS*

Lori Lavender Luz said...

I'd never thought of using hummus. Yum!

Thanks, Beth!

Ava Bella said...

My sis in law makes an artichoke dip very similar to this one...I usually eat most of it during a party. good stuff!