Monday, January 19, 2009

The miracle med?

My appointment went well on Thursday. I had a nice chat with my GP, who quickly agreed that it was time to give some medication a try. One thing she said that really stuck with me...

No one would dare withhold insulin from a diabetic. I don't see why the same
doesn't hold true for Serotonin.


She wrote me a script for 50mg of Zoloft, with instructions to start the first few days at half a pill, just to ease myself into the medication.

I spoke with a friend Friday afternoon, who kindly asked about my appointment, and how I was feeling. I told her that I was certain it was either mind over matter or a placebo effect, but I actually felt significantly better on Friday, and again on Saturday. Unfortunately, Sunday I woke up to a killer sinus headache that stuck with me all day, and today I am sans headache, but back to "normal" emotionally (meaning my "not so fun" normal, not socially "acceptable" normal).''

I will say that taking the step to get help has lifted a weight. This is something that I've been considering for years, and haven't been able to move myself to do it. I don't yet know if this is the dosage or even the medication for me, but I do know that I've taken that first step down the path towards getting healthy. And I feel really good about that.

11 Comments:

Emily (Apron Strings) said...

Yay for Serotonin! I'm glad that you've taken the step to take care of yourself. It's a big step and it takes a big brave girl to make that step.

xoxo
Em

Ann said...

1st steps alone can be the hardest things we do. I agree, you are such a brave woman to have taken that step and I do hope that things get better for you.

Thinking of you, Ann

Lori Lavender Luz said...

That's a great analogy. I'm glad things are already looking up, and I hope you are feeling physically better already.

RBandRC said...

That is great news. I'm so happy that you are feeling better...minus the sinus headache! ((HUGS))

Tigger said...

That sounds a lot like what my dad told my mom one day, when she was bitching about taking meds. (We're not very good at it...) He said "just think about it as insulin for the brain". I tried Zoloft and it didn't work so well for me - I got insomnia - but there are others for whom it has worked wonderfully. I'm SO glad you're getting help!

chicklet said...

Yay for you for taking the plunge. You gotta do what YOU need:-)

Anonymous said...

Yay for you! You'll get back to happyland in no time. And your doctor is so, so right.

xo
Flicka

Anonymous said...

I took Zoloft for a few years, now I am on Lexapro.

I think I liked Zoloft better. My doc had me on 100 mg at one point, but he gave it to me as 2 50mg pills a day. When I was ready, I was able to step down to 50 mg a day and found that to be enough.

It really does help when you get the seratonin boost. I hope it is as good for you as it has been for me.

Wordgirl said...

Oh Beth,

I'm so glad -- you know G said the same to me -- the insulin/diabetic comment -- and it made a world of difference for me --

I'm with Emily -- Yay for serotonin!

It's huge -- a huge step Beth -- It takes all the courage in the world. I know it did for me.

XO

Pam

Bea said...

So glad you're starting to feel better.

Bea

Beautiful Mess said...

I just realized I didn't comment on this entry, I totally thought I did! I came over to see if you were still feeling better. I hope so.
Thinking of you and sending you some hugs!